Photo: Raina + Wilson
It's time to transition from their best water shoes and family vacations to school mode—we're just a few weeks away from the big day! But whatever you do, don't overspend on schoolyear essentials. We found all the best back-to-school sales for 2023 to keep you on budget and grinning from ear to ear.
When do back-to-school sales start?
You're in luck! The best back-to-school sales start as early as July and run all the way through early September. That's because most parts of the US and Canada see kids heading back to the classroom by the first week of September, though many areas in sunbelt states start nearly a month earlier.
What are the best back-to-school sales to shop in 2023?
The best back-to-school sales offer up to 90% off regular retail prices on things like crayons, binders, art supplies, backpacks, sneakers, lunch bags and even kids' bikes and toddler bike helmets. If it's something they're likely to use during the schoolyear, expect the price to be slashed.
Photo: Carmen Cheung
- Aeropostale: Take 50% off all jeans (literally everything!) now through the entire month of August. It's the best time of year to load your cart at this already-affordable retailer.
- Amazon: Take up to 90% off Amazon Essentials clothes for kids and adults (we found these multipacks of kids' tees for $2 each), up to 75% off bestselling New Balance sneakers and as much as 65% off dorm basics like cheap twin mattress picks. Not sure where to start? This top-rated Zinus memory foam mattress ships compactly and is marked down below $130 for back-to-school 2023.
- Beech-Nut: Hold onto your lunch bags, because this popular baby and toddler snack brand is offering a wild 25% off seven-packs of bestselling Dino Biscuits with Hidden Veggies from August 13 through 17. These are ideal snacktime noshes and lunchbox add-ons they'll brag to their friends about.
- Boden: Ready your shopping engines, because Boden UK's bestselling solids and prints for the entire family are all marked down by up to 85% off their usual retail prices. If you like high-quality stitching and chic European garments, this is easily one of the best back-to-school sales for you.
- Christy Sports: Take up to 60% off winter apparel, ski and snowboard gear and everything a cold-weather-kid might need for 2023 and 2024 during the big Christy Sports Powder Daze sale running August 25 through September 4.
- Evsie: Did you know Maurice's has a line of clothes just for girls? It's true, and all back-to-school uniform essentials are marked down by a massive 30% now through August 26. Load your cart with polos, khaki bottoms and more.
- Forever 21: Take at least 21% off everything, including the new Forever 21 x Reebok collection now through August. Find vintage-inspired faves and basics at rock-bottom prices.
- GAP: Take up to 90% off back-to-school basics for kids, teens and adults now through September 8. Look for doorbuster deals from $5.
- Helix Mattress: This brand made our best toddler mattress list thanks to a genius design. We love the adult models too, though. And guess what? Now through August 21 you can score 20% off sitewide plus two FREE dream pillows with any mattress purchase when you use code "LDS20" at checkout.
- Huffy Bikes: Ride into the best back-to-school sale on bikes from August 11 through 19. Use code "HUFFYBTS20" at checkout to score 20% off just about everything.
- HyperArch Motion Shoes: Take a whopping 60% off just about everything in this brand's lineup of arch-supporting shoes now through August. Seriously, whether you've got a big kid or teen in need of better quality shoes or you're on your feet all day and need the feeling of walking on clouds—this back-to-school sale is a dream.
- Iron Flask: Take 20% off jids, Wide Mouth, and Narrow Mouth water bottles now through August 3, 2023 when you use code "SCHOOL20" at checkout.
- JC Penney: Take up to 85% off back-to-school fashions, dorm essentials, beauty, pencil cases and sneakers at the JC Penney back-to-school sale. Deals run now through Labor Day weekend.
- J. Crew Factory: Take an extra 60% off all clearance items and up to 90% off regular prices on back-to-school basics like uniform pants and collared shirts. We found shoes as cheap as $10, tees under $5 and dresses for girls, teens and adults from $10.
- Kipdik: Take a whopping 40% off stylish subscription boxes for kids in honor of back-to-school 2023. The deal is valid on your first three boxes. We're obsessed with these professionally styled and curated boxes designed to match your child's exact preferences and sizes—all within your budget.
- Kohls: Just about everything you could ever want for the school year is marked down to $10 or less at the Kohls back-to-school 2023 sale. Seriously—backpacks, multipacks of socks and tanks, water bottles, pillows, dorm bedding and more are all under $10 through early September.
- Lands End: Just about everything is on sale for back-to-school at Lands End. We found basics like sweaters, dresses, leggings and backups at up to 79% off retail. Better yet, swimwear is already marked down by over 80%. Seriously—run. Pieces start at $3.
- Macy's: Enjoy up to 85% off sneakers for the entire family, leggings, t-shirts, sweatshirts, cardigans, dresses, dorm room essentials, small kitchen appliances and kids' uniform basics like polos and flat-front khaki pants.
- Norani Dresses: Looking for cute twirl-worthy dresses for your little one? Take 20% off dress sets for school, the playground and dinners out with the family when you use promo code "B2S20" at checkout.
- Old Navy: Are you even ready for this jelly? Everything is on sale between now and September 15. Deals change daily, but we already found $7 leggings for women and $4 leggings for girls, $6 shoes, $8 sweatshirts and tees starting from $2.
- Overstock: Make the most of college dorm-perfect storage, wall decor and super cozy bedding essentials from $8.
- Pact: Take up to 60% off organic cotton essentials for the whole family. Seriously, babies, toddlers, kids, moms and dads are all included in the massive back-to-school sales. We found organic cotton maternity leggings under $20, dresses under $30 and bestselling tees starting at just $10.
- Proof: Tell your teen not to live in fear of their period this schoolyear because you're stocking them up with protective Proof Periodwear that's both practical and comfortable. And guess what? Take 25% off literally everything the brand sells from September 2 through 4. We also happen to think this brand makes some of the best postpartum underwear options, so buy for yourself as well.
- Sijo: Take 20% off bestselling eucalyptus-based bedding from Sijo when you use promo code "LABORDAY" from August 30 through September 5. Dorm-ready twin XL sizes are included, and this cooling, easy-to-wash material is seriously the best sustainable bedding we've seen yet.
- Tea Collection: Stock up the most adorable essentials for babies, toddlers and big kids while they're marked down to rock-bottom prices. We found printed tees, playground shorts and twirl-worthy dresses up to 80% off retail.
- Tupperware: From July 27 through the month of August, Tupperware Fresh 'N Cool container sets will be as much as 50% off regular retail. We found an impressive nine-piece pack for just $44.
- Walmart: It's a savings bonanza at Walmart for back-to-school 2023! We found Pen + Gear folders for 15 cents each (really!), crayons from 25 cents per package, glue sticks from 10 cents each and oodles of deals on clothes, underpinning, sports equipment and more.
- Wayfair: Pick your favorite dorm room essentials from $15, bedding from $10, towels from just $3 and oodles of kid-friendly outdoor equipment like swing sets and toddler tables and chairs at rock-bottom prices.
This article contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.
This article was originally published on Jul 21, 2023
Keep up with your baby's development, get the latest parenting content and receive special offers from our partners