Originally published in the Today’s Parent September 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen.
Barley Risotto with Mushroom, Zucchini and PeasBy Chatelaine
Barley stands in for rice and gives this risotto a nutty, chewy twist.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion , finely chopped
- 1 227-g pkg button mushrooms , sliced
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 zucchini , finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- Melt butter in a large, wide saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms. Cook until browned, 4 to 6 min. Stir in garlic, then barley. Cook for 1 min.
- Add 1/2 cup broth mixture. Stir often until barley has absorbed most of the liquid, 3 to 6 min. Continue adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring often, until absorbed. Keep heat at medium to medium-low so mixture is just simmering. Stir in peas, zucchini and Parmesan. Cook until zucchini is tender-crisp, 2 to 3 min. Season with pepper. Garnish with more Parmesan, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 9 g,
- 50 g,
- 9 g,
- 6 g,
- 538 mg.