Originally published in the Today’s Parent April 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen powered by GE.
Breakfast Confetti SlidersBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
6 adult servings
Have it for breakfast or for dinner, these versatile sliders are delicious any time of day.
- 1 450-g pkg turkey sausage , casings removed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tbsp flax meal , optional
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups 35% cream
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion , finely chopped
- 1/2 red sweet pepper , finely chopped
- 1/2 zucchini , finely chopped
- 6 eggs , beaten
- 3/4 cups grated cheddar
- Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 425F. Spray a large baking sheet with oil. Line another large baking sheet with parchment.
- Shape sausage meat into eight 3-in.-wide patties. Arrange on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in top third of oven, flipping halfway through, until juices run clear when a knife tip is inserted into patties, about 20 min.
- Stir flours with flax meal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add cream, stirring mixture with a fork, until it starts to come together. Transfer dough to a floured surface and pat into a 1/2-in.-thick circle. Cut into eight 2 1/2-in. rounds with a cookie cutter or drinking glass. Arrange on oiled baking sheet. Bake in bottom third of oven until tops of biscuits are golden, 10 to 12 min.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan (about 10 in.) over medium-high. Add oil, then onion, pepper and zucchini. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min. Pour eggs into pan, then reduce heat to medium-low. When edges are set after 1 min, use spatula to lift an edge, pulling toward the centre and tilting pan to let uncooked liquid egg mixture run underneath. Sprinkle with cheese. Cook, covered, until eggs have set, 4 to 5 min. Transfer omelette to a cutting board and use biscuit cutter to cut out eight 2 1/2-in. rounds.
- Assemble sliders by cutting biscuits in half crosswise. Layer with sausage patties, then egg rounds. Add top biscuit and serve.
Instead of making your own biscuits, save time by using English muffins.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 29 g,
- 26 g,
- 34 g,
- 2 g,
- 713 mg.