Originally published in the August 2013 issue. Photo by Jodi Pudge.
Zucchini and White Bean FrittersBy Today's Parent
- 4 cups coarsely grated zucchini , (about 4 small zucchini)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup canned white pea beans , drained and rinsed well
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup canola oil , for frying
- Toss zucchini with salt in a medium bowl and let stand for 5 min to draw out moisture.
- Transfer to a clean kitchen towel and wring out any liquid. (It’s important to squeeze it really well.)
- Purée beans in a food processor, transfer to a bowl and stir in egg, parsley, garlic and lemon rind until well combined.
- Add zucchini and bread crumbs and mix until fully incorporated. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over medium-high.
Use your hands to press mixture into about 12 thin patties. 5. Work in batches, and add remaining oil as needed, and fry the patties for 1 to 2 min a side or until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 22 g,
- 15 g,
- 5 g,
- 472 mg.