Originally published in the Today’s Parent January 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen powered by GE. Photo by Erik Putz.
Grapefruit OwlBy Chatelaine
Kids will get a hoot out of opening their lunchbox and discovering this cutie grapefruit owl.
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 clementine
- 1 banana
- 1 green apple
- 2 small blueberries
- pretzel sticks , optional
- Cut grapefruit and clementine crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Peel and cut banana into 1/8-in. slices. Cut 2 1/4-in. round slices from apple crosswise.
- Lay a grapefruit slice on a plate.
- Layer overlapping banana slices, starting from the bottom half of grapefruit, stopping halfway up for feathers.
- Lay 2 slices clementine on the top half of grapefruit.
- Place a blueberry on the centre of each clementine slice.
- Cut a smaller slice of clementine in half and place at bottom of the owl for feet.
- Cut an apple slice in half for wings.
- Cut remaining apple slice into triangles for ears and beak.
- Place pretzel sticks under owl’s feet for branches, if desired.
Nutrition (per owl)
- 2 g,
- 44 g,
- 1 g,
- 5 g,
- 2 mg.