Originally published in the Today’s Parent April 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen powered by GE.
Eggy Pad ThaiBy Chatelaine
4 adult servings
Skip takeout in favour of this easy vegetarian Pad Thai. Your kids will love slurping up the broad rice noodles.
- 1/2 454-g pkg rice-stick noodles , about 1/4-in. wide
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce , or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1-2 tsp chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 red sweet pepper , thinly sliced
- 6 eggs , beaten
- 1/2 cup toasted peanuts , coarsely chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Fill a large bowl with boiling water. Add noodles. Soak, stirring often to separate noodles, just until tender, 15 to 20 min. Drain, then rinse well under cold water before returning to bowl.
- Whisk tomato paste with lime juice, brown sugar, fish sauce, Worcestershire and chili-garlic sauce in a medium bowl until combined.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then pepper. Cook until pepper is tender- crisp, 2 min. Add eggs. Cook, stirring often, until eggs are scrambled and cooked, about 1 min.
- Add drained noodles to pan. Pour in tomato-lime mixture. Cook, stirring frequently to coat, until hot, 1 to 2 min. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12 g,
- 66 g,
- 12 g,
- 3 g,
- 938 mg.