Originally published in the Today’s Parent February 2016 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen. Photo by Erik Putz.
Cheese Stuffed Giant ShellsBy Chatelaine
Put your big kid to work spooning the filling into these yummy stuffed giant shells. When the baking is done, let her garnish with fresh basil.
- 12 jumbo shells
- 2 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 1 227-g pkg cremini mushrooms , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 cup extra-smooth ricotta
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 1/4 tsp salt , divided
- 1 796-mL can whole tomatoes , drained well
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cook shells in a large pot of boiling water following package directions (omitting salt) until tender, 14 to 16 min. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 8 to 10 min. Stir in garlic and cook 2 more min. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in ricotta, basil and 1/8 tsp salt until combined.
- Crush tomatoes finely, using hands or a wooden spoon, in a medium bowl. Stir in remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/8 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper. Spread half of tomato sauce over the bottom of an 8 x 8-in. baking dish. Fill each shell with a heaping tbsp of ricotta mixture, then arrange in baking dish, open side up. Spoon remaining tomato sauce overtop. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake in centre of oven until cheese melts and shells are warmed through, 10 to 12 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 15 g,
- 26 g,
- 18 g,
- 3 g,
- 455 mg.