Originally published in the Today’s Parent April 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen powered by GE.
Cheese and Apple Crumpet French ToastBy Chatelaine
4 adult servings
French toast gets a savoury makeover in this breakfast-for-dinner recipe.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 284-g pkg crumpets , 6
- 2 tbsp butter , divided
- 2 gala apples
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard , optional
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar
- 5 cups baby arugula
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- maple syrup , optional
- Position rack in top third of oven. Preheat broiler.
- Spray a large baking sheet with oil.
- Whisk eggs with milk and salt in a large baking dish. Season with fresh pepper. Add crumpets and soak for 5 min.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a medium frying pan over medium. Add apples and thyme. Cook, stirring often, until apples are slightly softened, 3 to 5 min. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt remaining 1 tbsp butter in same pan. Add half of the crumpets. Cook, flipping halfway through, until golden, 4 to 6 min. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining crumpets. Brush top of crumpets with Dijon, then sprinkle with cheddar. Broil in top third of oven until cheese is melted and golden, about 2 min.
- Add arugula to apples. Drizzle with oil and vinegar. Toss to coat. Serve apple salad with crumpets drizzled with maple syrup.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 14 g,
- 43 g,
- 17 g,
- 4 g,
- 442 mg.