Originally published in the Today’s Parent January 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen.
Supper NachosBy Chatelaine
6 adult servings
Take the snack we all know and love from just an appetizer to a full-on meal with this easy Supper Nachos recipe.
- 8 whole-grain tortillas
- 4 tsp canola oil , divided
- 1/2 540-mL can navy beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 2 tsp ground chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 454-g pkg lean ground turkey
- 1 156-mL can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup grated Monterey jack
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tomato , diced
- 1 green onion , thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 400F. Brush both sides of tortillas with 3 tsp oil. Stack tortillas and slice into 8 wedges. Arrange on 2 baking sheets. Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching and rotating sheets halfway through, until crisp and golden, 8 to 10 min. Transfer to a rack to cool. Preheat broiler.
- Mash beans with a potato masher in a medium bowl. Heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add remaining 1 tsp oil, then garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt. Stir until fragrant, 30 sec. Crumble in turkey. Cook, breaking meat up with a fork, until it’s no longer pink, 4 to 5 min. Add tomato paste, water and mashed beans. Cook until warmed through, about 2 min.
- Divide tortilla chips between 2 large casserole dishes or transfer all to a baking sheet. Spread tortillas out in one layer if possible. Spoon turkey mixture evenly over chips, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil in top third of oven just until cheese melts, 1 min. Serve topped with lettuce, sour cream, tomato, green onion and cilantro.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 28 g,
- 38 g,
- 22 g,
- 7 g,
- 804 mg.