Originally published in the Today’s Parent March 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen powered by GE.
Calzones with Turkey KielbasaBy Chatelaine
6 adult servings
Kids will love helping to prepare these yummy handheld calzones.
- 4 tsp olive oil , divided
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 1/2 227-g pkg sliced mushrooms , about 5 cups
- 4 plum tomatoes , thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 batch Perfect Pizza Dough , or 500 g store-bought pizza dough
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1/2 300-g pkg turkey kielbasa , thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cold water
- Position rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 500F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Heat a large frying pan over high. Add 2 tsp oil, then onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until onion starts to soften, 1 to 2 min. Add mushrooms, tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 min. Remove from heat.
- Place pizza dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 6 pieces. Pat each piece into a flattened round. Using a floured rolling pin, roll each piece into a 6-in. circle. Dividing mushroom filling into 6 portions, scoop each one onto lower half of each circle, leaving a 1-in. border. Top with cheese and kielbasa. Brush dough edges with cold water. Fold top over filling. Firmly press edges of dough together to seal. Twist edges or press with a fork.
- Place calzones on prepared baking sheet and brush lightly with remaining 2 tsp oil.
- Bake in bottom third of oven until golden, 10 to 12 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g,
- 38 g,
- 18 g,
- 3 g,
- 675 mg.