Originally published in the Today’s Parent January 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen powered by GE.
Shepherd’s Pie with Cauliflower MashBy Chatelaine
6 adult servings
Take the classic comfort food for a new spin by swapping heavy potatoes with hearty vegetables in this Shepherd's Pie with Cauliflower Mash.
- 1 medium cauliflower , cut into bite-sized pieces, about 9 cups
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter , divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 500-g pkg lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 156-mL can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup HP sauce
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables , such as peas and carrots
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Boil a large pot of water. Add cauliflower and cook, covered, until tender, 12 to 15 min. Drain well then transfer to a food processor. Whirl with milk, 2 tbsp butter and salt until smooth.
- Melt remaining 1 tbsp butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, 2 to 3 min. Crumble in beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink, 4 min. Add beef broth, tomato paste and HP sauce. Season with fresh pepper. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until saucy, 5 to 6 min. Stir in mixed frozen vegetables and cook until warmed through, 4 to 5 min.
- Divide meat mixture into 6 individual ovenproof dishes, then top each with cauliflower mash. Set dishes on a baking sheet. 5. Broil in top third of oven until mash is warmed through, 2 to 3 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 22 g,
- 21 g,
- 18 g,
- 6 g,
- 974 mg.