Originally published in the Today’s Parent February 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen powered by GE.
Salisbury Steak with Roasted-Garlic MashBy Chatelaine
6 adult servings
Get back to basics with a filling dose of meat and potatoes. Our Salisbury steak recipe is a cinch to whip up.
- 2 heads garlic , halved crosswise
- 6 yellow potatoes , peeled and quartered
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp salt , divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley , optional
- 1 500-g pkg lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup butter , divided
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup 35% cream
- Preheat oven to 450F. Wrap both garlic halves in foil. Roast in centre of oven until cloves are tender, about 30 min.
- Boil potatoes in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil until tender, about 30 min.
- Stir onion with minced garlic, egg, Worcestershire, 1/2 tsp salt, bread crumbs and parsley in a medium bowl. Crumble in meat. Using a fork or your hands, gently mix. Form into 6 oval-shaped steaks, each about 1/2-in. thick.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. When hot, add 3 steaks. Cook until lightly browned on each side, about 3 min per side. Remove to a large plate. Repeat with remaining steaks, then remove to plate. Stir in flour, then gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Return steaks and any juices to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, then simmer, covered, until steaks are cooked through, about 5 more min.
- Drain potatoes and return to saucepan over low. Squeeze garlic from cloves into potatoes. Mash well with remaining 3 tbsp butter, 1/4 tsp salt and cream.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 23 g,
- 38 g,
- 30 g,
- 3 g,
- 842 mg.