Delicious Lentil and Kale Soup
There's a lot of good things happening in this kale soup. Our faves are the bacon, smoky paprika, lentils and soft veggies.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz low-sodium bacon , (about 4 slices)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot , (about 1 carrot)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery , (about 2 sticks)
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- 8 cups chicken broth , (homemade or sodium-free)
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chopped kale , (stems and mid-ribs removed)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium. Add bacon and sauté for 2 min or until fat has rendered. Discard all but 3 tbsp fat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté for 5 min or until vegetables begin to soften. Add garlic and smoked paprika and sauté for 1 min. Stir in tomato paste. Add lentils, chicken stock, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Cover pot, turn heat to low and simmer gently for 15 min.
- Add kale and salt and simmer for 15 min longer or until lentils and vegetables are cooked through.
- Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
Freeze cooked soup in portions. Defrost fully and reheat gently in a saucepan over medium-low, adding a little water and salt if needed.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 19 g,
- 39 g,
- 11 g,
- 8 g,
- 794 mg.