Originally published in the May 2013 issue. Photo by Jodi Pudge.
Crispy Asparagus Fries
This article has not been rated yet.
Try these crispy asparagus fries for a green twist on the potato classic.
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt , divided
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumb
- 1 lb asparagus , tough ends snapped off
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Combine egg and mustard in a shallow bowl, and beat until uniform.
- Combine flour and ¾ tsp salt in another bowl.
- Place panko crumbs on a plate.
- Put all of the asparagus into the flour mixture and toss to coat; don’t worry if there is a very fine coating that sticks to the asparagus.
- Working with a few spears at a time, hold the tips of the asparagus, coat with the egg mixture and roll in panko (leaving tips clean if possible).
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium. Working in batches, fry asparagus, turning as needed, for 1 to 2 min or until panko is golden and asparagus is tender-crisp. Remove from heat, season with the remaining ¼ tsp salt and serve.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 13 g,
- 29 g,
- 2 g,
- 275 mg.