- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 225-g pkg whole cured chorizo sausage , thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper , sliced into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper , sliced into thin strips
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted green olives , optional
- Heat a large frying pan over medium. Add oil, then onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 4 min.
- Add broth, rice, tomato paste and garlic powder. Stir until rice is coated. Add sausage, peppers and tomatoes.
- Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 25 min. Remove from heat and stir in olives.
Stash chopped onion in a small bag, prepped sausage in another and peppers and tomatoes in a third, which can be tucked inside a larger resealable bag with rice. Place broth, tomato paste and garlic powder in a jar.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent July 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen powered by GE.
Photo: Roberto Caruso
Nutrition (per serving)
- 13 g
- 48 g
- 14 g
- 3 g
- 822 mg