Originally published in the Today’s Parent November 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen. Photo: Roberto Caruso.
Turkey, Bean, Kale and Pasta SoupBy Chatelaine
The mini star pasta in this warm and satisfying soup will charm kids instantly. If you can't find stelline, try orzo, Israeli couscous or alphabet pasta.
- 300 g turkey sausage , casings removed
- 1 small onion , diced
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp ground chili powder
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup star-shaped pasta , (such as steliine)
- 1 540-mL can black-eyed peas , or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups packed chopped kale
- 2 tbsp lime juice , optional
- Heat a large pot over medium. Crumble in sausage meat. Cook, using a wooden spoon to break up meat, until no pink remains, 4 to 5 min. Stir in onion, garlic, tomato paste and chili powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 min.
- Add water, broth and pasta. Boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is almost tender, about 5 min. Stir in beans and kale. Gently boil until kale wilts, 2 to 3 more min. Remove from heat. Stir in lime juice before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g,
- 33 g,
- 5 g,
- 6 g,
- 893 mg.