- 300 g turkey sausage , casings removed
- 1 small onion , diced
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp ground chili powder
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup star-shaped pasta , (such as steliine)
- 1 540-mL can black-eyed peas , or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups packed chopped kale
- 2 tbsp lime juice , optional
- Heat a large pot over medium. Crumble in sausage meat. Cook, using a wooden spoon to break up meat, until no pink remains, 4 to 5 min. Stir in onion, garlic, tomato paste and chili powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 min.
- Add water, broth and pasta. Boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is almost tender, about 5 min. Stir in beans and kale. Gently boil until kale wilts, 2 to 3 more min. Remove from heat. Stir in lime juice before serving.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent November 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen. Photo: Roberto Caruso.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g
- 33 g
- 5 g
- 6 g
- 893 mg