Originally published in the Today’s Parent November 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen.
Curried Lentil-Coconut SoupBy Chatelaine
Warm whole-wheat pita does such a good job sopping up this creamy soup, you might not need to wash any spoons.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 onion , finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 1 400-mL can light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Boil 5 cups of water in a kettle.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high. Add oil, then onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, 3 to 4 min. Add garlic, curry powder and 1 tbsp water. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 min.
- Add lentils and boiling water. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, stirring often, until lentils are mushy, about 30 min. Stir in coconut milk, honey and salt. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g,
- 54 g,
- 10 g,
- 10 g,
- 597 mg.