Originally published in the Today’s Parent November 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen. Photo: Roberto Caruso.
Corn Chowder with Chicken and BaconBy Chatelaine
This rich, chunky bowl of kid-friendly corn chowder has layers of flavour (hi, leeks!) and goes from kernel to table in half an hour.
- 2 cups frozen corn kernel
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 russet potato , peeled and grated
- 1 389-mL can creamed corn
- 1/4 dried thyme
- 6 slices bacon , chopped
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast , cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 leek , white part only, finely chopped
- Combine corn with broth, milk, potato, creamed corn and thyme in a large pot and set over high. Boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring often, until potato is tender, about 10 min.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add bacon and cook until just starting to crisp, about 4 min. Add chicken and leek. Cook, stirring often, until chicken is cooked through, about 3 min.
- Stir bacon mixture into soup. Season with fresh pepper. Ladle chowder into bowls.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 19 g,
- 40 g,
- 15 g,
- 3 g,
- 813 mg.