Originally published in the Today’s Parent September 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen. Photo by Roberto Caruso
Chicken Barley SoupBy Chatelaine
Hearty chicken barley soup is easy to make and super satisfying.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 227-g pkg button mushrooms , sliced
- 2 carrots , peeled and diced
- 1/2 900-g bag baby potatoes , cut into small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 900-mL carton vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup pearl barley , rinsed under cold water
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts , cut into small cubes
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Heat a large pot over medium. Add oil, then onion. Cook until onion starts to soften, about 3 min.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, potatoes and garlic. Cook until mushrooms soften, about 3 min. Add broth, water and barley. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until barley is tender, about 25 min. Stir in chicken and peas until chicken is cooked through, about 10 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 31 g,
- 56 g,
- 6 g,
- 7 g,
- 832 mg.