Originally published in the April 2011 issue. Photo by Michael Alberstat.
This takeout favourite is loaded with the season's best produce. If you can't get your hands on the Indian flatbread roti, simply roll the filling inside large whole wheat tortillas.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2-3 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 green onion , thinly sliced
- 3 large tomatoes , chopped
- 4 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- 1 540 mL can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large roti , about 15 in (38 cm) wide, or 4 large whole wheat tortillas
- Heat oil in a medium pot set over medium high. Add curry (using the extra 1 tbsp/15 mL if you prefer a bolder flavour). Stir frequently until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add onions and cook, stirring frequently until softened, 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in spinach until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add chickpeas and frozen peas. Stir occasionally until hot and tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in honey and salt.
- Divide filling between roti. Roll up.
- Slice each in half to make 4 servings. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 18 g,
- 85 g,
- 24 g,
- 18 g,