Originally published in the Today’s Parent April 2014 issue. Photo by Maya Visnyei.
Slow Cooker RibsBy Eshun Mott
6 hrs 5 min
4 adult servings
Jennifer Hawley of North Battleford, Sask. suggested this easy, hearty and family-friendly slow cooker ribs recipe. Use your favourite barbecue sauce to create the final glaze.
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1//4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper , divided
- 2 rack pork ribs , (about 1.5 kg)
- 1 onion , sliced
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Combine paprika, mustard, salt, cayenne and 1⁄4 tsp pepper in a small bowl.
- Cut rib racks in half and sprinkle all over with spice mixture. Place racks in the slow cooker with the meatiest sections on the bottom. Sprinkle onion overtop. Cover. Cook on low for 6 hrs. Your slow cooker ribs should be tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
- Preheat broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with foil. Carefully transfer ribs to baking sheet, discarding onions. Stir 2 tbsp of pork juice from slow cooker into barbecue sauce and brush all over ribs. Sprinkle with remaining 1⁄4 tsp pepper. Broil for 4 min or until sauce is bubbling and caramelized.
You might want to read the label on your favourite bottle of barbecue sauce. Some brands are very high in sodium.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 49 g,
- 6 g,
- 46 g,
- 0.41 g,
- 592 mg.