Originally published in the Today’s Parent February 2013 issue. Photo by Andrew Grinton.
Saucy Short RibsBy Eshun Mott
8 hrs 10 min
Serve these saucy ribs over egg noodles and pair with your family’s favourite veggies for a simple and satisfying dinner.
- 3 lbs short ribs , (cut on the long bone, half of full "English" style)
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup full-bodied red wine
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 3 cups sodium-free beef broth
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- Pat ribs dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large heavy frying pan over high.
- Working in batches, add short ribs and cook, turning, for about 6 min or until browned on all sides.
- Place ribs in slow cooker in a single layer.
- Pour off all but 2 tbsp fat from pan, add onion and carrot and sauté for 4 min on medium-high, or until browned. Add garlic and thyme and sauté for 1 min longer. Add tomato paste and stir until vegetables are coated. Add red wine, and boil for 2 min, or until slightly reduced, stir in vinegar and mustard. Scrape into slow cooker.
- Add stock, cover slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hrs.
- Remove ribs and set aside. Skim fat from sauce; discard fat. Transfer sauce to a frying pan or wide pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 min, or until thickened slightly. Stir in butter.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 34 g,
- 12 g,
- 57 g,
- 2 g,
- 259 mg.