Originally published in the Today’s Parent February 2013 issue. Photo by Andrew Grinton.
Comforting Chicken Congee
10 hrs 8 min
Congee is a savoury rice porridge traditional to many Asian cultures and is often served for breakfast. Think of it as something like a soupy risotto – very tasty and easy to eat.
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 8 cups sodium-free chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs , cut into 2-in. pieces
- 1/4 cup peeled, chopped ginger
- chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- chopped green onions
- sesame oil
- low-sodium soy sauce
- Rinse rice well in cold water.
- Place rice in the slow cooker with the broth, salt and mushrooms. Cover slow cooker, set on low and cook for 10 hrs. After 8 hrs (when rice is broken down and very soft) add chicken and ginger and cook for 2 hrs longer or until chicken can be shredded easily.
- Scoop out mushrooms and chicken. Discard mushroom stems, slice caps thinly; set aside. Pull chicken into bite-sized pieces and also set aside.
- Serve congee in bowls with mushrooms and chicken. Offer with peanuts and green onions for sprinkling and sesame oil and soy sauce for seasoning.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 29 g,
- 45 g,
- 7 g,
- 3 g,
- 521 mg.