Originally published in the September 2013 issue. Photo by Jodi Pudge.
Crispy Fried Fish SandwichBy Today's Parent
This article has not been rated yet.
- 1 lb. tilapia , (2 large fillets), cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups canola oil , (for frying)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup cold beer
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 8 small soft hamburger buns
- Pat fish dry with paper towels and season with ¼ tsp of salt.
- Heat oil in a wok or wide, deep pan (you need the oil to be at least 1-in. deep) over medium heat to about 375F. Combine flour, baking powder and remaining ¼ tsp salt in a bowl, then whisk in beer to make a quick batter.
- Dip fish in batter to coat and carefully place into hot oil (a pair of wooden chopsticks works great for this job). Fry fish for 4 min, turning halfway, or until batter is golden and fish is cooked through. Transfer to a rack over a baking sheet to drain.
- Stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, Dijon, sugar and green onion.
- Spread mayonnaise sauce inside each bun. Fill with fried fish and shredded lettuce.
This makes a delicious sandwich, but if your kids think fish on a bun is weird, or prefer to dip fish into sauce, go with chips and wrap in newspaper for a fun meal.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 38 g,
- 66 g,
- 30 g,
- 3 g,
- 991 mg.