Originally published in the Today’s Parent October 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen.
Bacon, Cheese & Veggie FrittersBy Chatelaine
4 servings Photo: Roberto Caruso
These little fritters are perfect for small hands. They can be made as small as you like and they pack a lot of nutrition into an easy-to-eat parcel.
- 4 slices bacon , finely chopped
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables , (corn, peas, carrots, green beans)
- 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated aged cheddar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Heat an extra-large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add bacon and onion. Cook until onion starts to brown and bacon is crispy, 7 to 8 min. Add frozen vegetables. Cook until thawed and any liquid has evaporated, about 3 min.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a food processor. Pulse until it’s chunky but comes together. Add panko, cheddar and eggs, and pulse until combined. Scoop 1/3 cup of the batter and shape into a patty about 3 in. wide and 3/4 in. high. Repeat with remaining batter to make 10 patties. Place on prepared sheet.
- Wipe same pan clean and set over medium. Add oil, then patties, about 5 at a time. (You may need to do this in several batches.) Cook until golden, 2 to 4 min per side. Transfer to a platter. Repeat with remaining patties.
- Stir yogurt with parsley and lemon juice. Serve with fritters.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 25 g,
- 40 g,
- 28 g,
- 5 g,
- 500 mg.