Originally published in the Today’s Parent January 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen.
Spaghetti and Meatballs with a SecretBy Chatelaine
4 adult servings
This special recipe for classic spaghetti and meatballs comes with a surprising twist—grated veggies hidden away within the meatballs mean even the pickiest eaters will be asking for slurpy seconds.
- 1 slice whole wheat bread , torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 500-g pkg ground pork
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup grated small eggplants
- 1/4 cup grated onions
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt , divided
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 680-mL bottle passata
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 400-g pkg spaghetti
- 1/2 cup chopped basil , optional
- Soak bread pieces in milk in a small bowl. Set aside until bread becomes soft, about 5 min.
- Combine pork with soaked bread and milk, zucchini, eggplant, onion, , Italian seasoning and 1 tsp garlic salt in a large bowl. Using your hands, form the mixture into 1-in.-round meatballs and set on a baking sheet. There will be 30 to 32 meatballs.
- Heat an extra-large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then meatballs. Cook, moving meatballs often, until brown on all sides, 1 to 2 min per side. Pour in passata and water. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp garlic salt. Gently stir, then reduce heat to low. Simmer meatballs for 10 min.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water following package directions, omitting salt, until tender, 6 to 8 min. Toss drained pasta with meatballs and sauce, divide between 4 plates and sprinkle with basil.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 39 g,
- 90 g,
- 25 g,
- 4 g,
- 919 mg.