Originally published in the Today’s Parent September 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen.
Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs on RiceBy Chatelaine
A warm Thermos lunch is as comforting as it gets—especially when there are mini meatballs and saucy rice inside.
- 1 cup long-grain rice , or jasmine rice
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 3 cups finely chopped pineapple , divided
- 1 600-mL bottle passata , (tomato purée)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 1 500-g pkg ground turkey
- 1/4 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1 green onion , finely chopped
- Cook rice according to package directions, but omitting salt, 15 to 20 min.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high. Add 2 cups pineapple and cook until browned, about 10 min. Transfer to a food processor and whirl with passata, tomato paste, onion and garlic powders, Worcestershire and 1/4 tsp salt until smooth. Return sauce to pot. Season with fresh pepper. Set over medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5 min.
- Combine turkey with bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper. Mix by hand until combined. Roll into 1-in. balls, and then gently drop into sauce. Stir in remaining 1 cup pineapple. Simmer, partially covered, stirring often, until meatballs are cooked through, about 15 more min.
- Serve meatballs warm over rice. Sprinkle with green onion.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 28 g,
- 70 g,
- 14 g,
- 4 g,
- 901 mg.