Originally published in the Today’s Parent March 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen powered by GE.
Potato Gnocchi with Creamy Ham-and-Broccoli SauceBy Chatelaine
4 adult servings
Your kids will love this cheesy potato gnocchi, you'll love the added broccoli.
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli , florets
- 1/2 cup finely diced ham
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- Wash then prick potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave on high, 6 min, then flip and continue microwaving until potatoes are tender, 6 more min. When cool enough to handle, carefully peel off and discard skin. Mash potatoes well or pass through a ricer into a large bowl. It should measure about 2 cups.
- Add egg yolks to cooled potatoes. Stir in 1 cup flour and salt. Knead dough lightly in bowl. Dough should be smooth and barely sticky. Divide into 3 portions. Roll each into a rope, about 1/2 in. thick, then cut rope into 1/2-in. pieces. Set aside on a lightly floured surface.
- Drop gnocchi into a large pot of boiling water. When they float to the surface, scoop out with a slotted spoon into a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 tbsp melted butter, then toss to coat.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over medium. Add onion and cook until it is soft, 3 min. Whisk in 2 tbsp flour and cook for 1 min. Add milk and broth and continue whisking until sauce is smooth and thickened, 2 min. Stir in broccoli, ham and cheese. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until broccoli is cooked, about 4 more min. Stir in gnocchi.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 18 g,
- 46 g,
- 17 g,
- 3 g,
- 631 mg.