Originally published in the Today’s Parent December 2015 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen. Photo: Roberto Caruso.
Cheese and Sausage Croissant StrataBy Chatelaine
1 h 25 min
Strata is a warm, casserole-style breakfast that can be made ahead and popped in the oven once the coffee is on. This yummy one is made with toasted croissants, sausage and plenty of cheese.
- 8 large store-bought croissants , sliced in half horizontally
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup no-salt-added chicken broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 450-g pkg mild Italian sausage meat , casings removed
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 227-g pkg sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup grated Gruyere
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Position oven racks in centre and bottom of oven. Preheat to 350F. Arrange croissant halves on 2 baking sheets. Toast in centre and bottom of oven, switching sheets halfway through, until slightly crisp, about 6 min. Whisk eggs with milk and broth in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan on medium. Add oil, then sausage. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no pink remains, about 5 min. Add onion and garlic, and cook until onion is soft, 2 to 3 min. Stir in mushrooms and cook until soft, 4 to 5 min. Season with fresh pepper.
- Arrange a layer of croissant halves, about 8, cut side down on the bottom of a 9 x 13-in. baking dish. Scatter half of sausage mixture, then half of cheese overtop. Pour half of egg mixture evenly over cheese. Layer with remaining croissants, sausage mixture and cheese. Drizzle with remaining egg mixture. Using clean hands, press down croissants to make sure they’re covered in egg mixture. Let stand for 5 min to soak up liquid. Cover with foil.
- Bake in centre of oven for 25 min, then remove foil and continue to bake until a knife inserted in centre and edges of strata comes out clean, 35 to 40 more min. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Cover baked and cooled strata with foil and refrigerate overnight. Reheat in centre of 400F oven, covered with foil, until warm, about 1 hour.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 21 g,
- 31 g,
- 31 g,
- 2 g,
- 816 mg.