, (strawberry or cherry)
- Defrost a 1-lb box of frozen puff pastry sheets (there should be two in a package).
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Lay one sheet of pastry on a lightly floured cutting board and use a ruler and a pizza wheel (or knife) to cut the sheet into 6 3 x 5-in. pieces. Move cut pastry to the side and repeat the process with the other sheet.
- Spread about 1 tbsp natural peanut butter down the middle of half of each piece of pastry; make sure to leave a ½-in. border all around. Then, top the peanut butter with about 1½ tbsp good-quality jam. These will be your bottom pieces.
- Beat 1 large egg and brush the inside of the top pieces of pastry. Sandwich jam-covered pastry with egg-washed pastry. Trim edges if needed and use the tines of a fork to compress the edges all the way around.
- Brush the top of the pastries with egg. Cut a few small slits in the top of each pastry and transfer to a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 min or until pastry is golden and cooked through, or wrap well and place baking sheet in the freezer to make another day. They will keep frozen for up to six weeks.
Try sunflower seed or pumpkin seed butter in place of peanut butter if your child is allergic, or if you want to make these school-friendly.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 10 g,
- 58 g,
- 37 g,
- 3 g,
- 209 mg.
Originally published in the September 2012 issue. Photo by Jodi Pudge.