Originally published in the Today’s Parent February 2016 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen. Photo by Erik Putz.
Eggplant Parmesan RollsBy Chatelaine
This speedy spin on classic eggplant parmesan is great for vegetarian and gluten-free eaters (use gluten-free panko or skip it).
- 2 medium eggplant
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups store-bought marinara sauce , divided
- 1 cup extra-smooth ricotta
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped basil , optional
- Position oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 450F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with foil. Spray with oil. Set aside.
- Cut small pieces off the tops and bottoms of eggplant so they stand flat on cutting board. Slice eggplants lengthwise into 12 ¼-in.-thick strips (discard end pieces and extra strips, or keep for another use). Stir oil with salt in a small bowl. Lightly brush both sides of 12 eggplant slices with oil. Arrange in one layer on prepared baking sheets. Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching sheets halfway through, until edges are fork-tender, about 15 min. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Spread 1/2 cup marinara in the bottom of an 8 x 8-in. baking dish. Stir ricotta with mozzarella and Parmesan in a small bowl. Spoon 2 tbsp ricotta mixture onto 1 end of each eggplant slice. Gently roll up. Place roll in prepared dish, seam-side down. Repeat with remaining eggplant and ricotta. Top with remaining 1 cup marinara sauce. Sprinkle panko overtop.
- Bake in top third of oven until top is golden-brown, 6 to 8 min. Sprinkle with basil before serving, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 21 g,
- 33 g,
- 33 g,
- 7 g,
- 882 mg.