Originally published in the November 201o issue. Photo by Jim Norton.
Spiced Coconut Snowballs
Ground ginger and cinnamon adds a little kick to these sweet coconut snowballs. Kids will love helping to form the balls then rolling in sugar.
- 1/4 cup icing sugar , plus more for rolling
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened fancy flake coconut
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Sift icing sugar with ginger, cinnamon and salt. In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar mixture until evenly combined. Stir in vanilla, then coconut and flour until mixture starts to come together. Pinch off a scant tablespoon of dough, then roll into a ball. Repeat with remaining dough, placing 11⁄2 in (4 cm) apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven until edges are set and bottoms are golden, about 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar in a bowl. Roll one cookie at a time in sugar to coat. Store in airtight container for up to 3 days. To make ahead: Bake cookies but don’t roll in sugar. Freeze up to 1 month. Defrost as many as needed and roll in sugar before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 8 g,
- 6 g,