Originally published in the Today’s Parent November 2014 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen powered by GE.
Jam Thumbprint CookiesBy Chatelaine
1 h 45 min
Classic Jam Thumbprint Cookies are great for cookie exchanges, giving as gifts or simply for indulging.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Stir flour with baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside. Beat butter with granulated sugar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture until combined.
- Gather into a ball. Divide dough in half, then flatten into two discs and wrap in wax paper. Chill until firm, about 1 hour or overnight.
- Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Roll cookies into 1-in. balls and arrange 1 in. apart on prepared sheets. Make a deep indent, using your index finger, in the centre of each ball. Pipe or dollop jam into each cookie. Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching halfway through, until cookies are just turning golden around the edges, 12 to 15 min. Let cookies cool on sheets for 1 min, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Cookies will keep well, stored in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 5 days.
Nutrition (per cookie)
- 1 g,
- 15 g,
- 6 g,
- 43 mg.