Originally published in the Today’s Parent December 2014 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen powered by GE.
Candy Cane CookiesBy Chatelaine
1 h 30 min
Crushed peppermint gives these festive Candy Cane Cookies the perfect crunch.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup candy canes , finely chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- Stir flour with baking powder, salt and candy canes in a medium bowl. Set aside. Beat butter with granulated sugar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, until fluffy. Beat in egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture until combined.
- Gather into a ball. Divide dough in half, then flatten into two discs and wrap in wax paper. Chill until firm, about 1 hour or overnight.
- Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Roll cookies into 1-in. balls and arrange 1 in. apart on prepared sheets. Cookies will spread when baked. Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching halfway through, until cookies are just turning golden around the edges, 12 to 15 min. Let cookies cool on sheets for 1 min, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Cookies will keep well, stored in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 5 days.
Nutrition (per cookie)
- 1 g,
- 14 g,
- 6 g,
- 42 mg.