Originally published in the Today’s Parent March/April 2019 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Instant Pot pumpkin risottoBy Chatelaine
Get perfect risotto in a portion of the time. Sage and salty bacon provide the perfect contrast to this creamy pumpkin dish.
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon , chopped
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic , minced
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh sage , plus more for garnish
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin purée
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta , divided
- Press Sauté button, on Normal. Add bacon to the Instant Pot and cook, stirring often, until crispy, 4 to 6 min. Add onion, garlic and sage; cook until softened, about 3 min.
- Stir in rice and cook until coated, about 1 min. Pour in broth, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pot, then stir in pumpkin, salt and pepper.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Press Manual Pressure Cook button, on High, and set for 8 min (will take about 10 min to come to pressure). When cooking finishes, open the pressure-release valve to depressurize, about 2 min.
- Press Cancel button, open lid and press Sauté button again. Simmer, stirring often, until rice is just tender, 4 to 5 min. Stir in half of the feta. Divide risotto among bowls. Top with remaining feta and garnish with sage.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12 g,
- 43 g,
- 19 g,
- 3 g,
- 934 mg.