Originally published in the Today’s Parent April 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Grilled Cheese SoldiersBy Chatelaine
Dippable grilled cheese soldiers make it OK for kids to play with their food.
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 8 sliced white bread
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 4 eggs
- tomato wedges , (optional)
- avocado wedges , (optional)
- Boil water in a medium saucepan.
- Meanwhile, spread butter on one side of each bread slice. Heat an extra-large frying pan over medium. Lay 4 bread slices, buttered-side down, in pan. Divide cheese over bread, then sandwich with remaining bread, buttered-side up. Cook, flipping halfway, until cheese is melted and bread is golden, about 4 min. Remove from pan and let cool slightly. Cut into 3/4-in.-wide sticks.
- Add eggs to boiling water, then decrease heat to medium-low. Simmer for 6 min, then drain and place eggs into egg cups. Slice off tops with a knife, and serve immediately with grilled cheese soldiers for dipping. Pair with tomato or avocado wedges, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 19 g,
- 33 g,
- 26 g,
- 2 g,
- 589 mg.