Originally published in the May 2013 issue. Photo by Jodi Pudge.
Chicken and Leek Sauté
Give leeks a try, they're sweet when cooked and become the star of this yummy chicken dish.
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter , divided
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 leeks , white and green parts only, halved and cleaned and cut into 1-in. pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs , halved
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white wine , or dry vermouth
- 1 cup homemade or sodium-free chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 tbsp 35% cream
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large frying pan on medium-low heat.
- Add garlic and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 min or until soft. Scrape onto a plate and set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour (shake off any excess).
- Add remaining 1 tbsp butter to frying pan and heat over medium-high. Add chicken and sauté until golden, about 2 min a side.
- Add white wine, bring to a boil and simmer for 1 to 2 min or until wine is reduced by half. Add chicken stock and thyme and simmer for 5 min or until chicken is almost cooked through. Add cream and reserved leeks and simmer 2 min longer or until flavours are combined. Serve with Crispy Asparagus Fries.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 24 g,
- 10 g,
- 17 g,
- 1 g,
- 412 mg.