Originally published in the November 2012 issue. Photo by Ryan Szulc.
Spicy Gingerbread Cake
1 h 10 min
Try this easy recipe for spicy gingerbread cake with a delicious glaze.
- 3/4 cup fancy molasses
- 3/4 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp peeled, grated ginger
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp long threads of orange zest
- 4 to 5 tsp fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease a Bundt pan. Set aside.
- Combine molasses and coffee in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in baking soda (mixture will foam right up). Set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, pepper and salt in a large bowl and whisk until uniform. Set aside.
- Beat oil and brown sugar together in a large bowl, then beat in eggs, one at a time until uniform. Add grated ginger and molasses mixture and whisk until well combined. Add this to flour mixture a little at a time and whisk until just combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 min or until a cake tester comes out with crumbs attached. Let cool 20 min, then turn out of pan and set on a rack to ice.
- Whisk together icing sugar, orange zest and enough juice to make a smooth runny icing. Drizzle icing over cake. Let stand 15 min or until icing has firmed up slightly and serve.
This moist and delicious cake keeps well as long as it’s tightly wrapped, but that can mar the beauty of the glaze. If desired, carry your cake to the party and make icing and glaze there for a flawless finish.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 74 g,
- 18 g,
- 1 g,
- 355 mg.