My favourite naming stories are ones that honour someone important to the couple. I love the sentimentality. It's also a huge honour to have your name passed down, especially when it's about character traits that the mom and dad hope to see in their child.
I think it would be especially meaningful if Kate and Prince William named their baby for his mother. Lady Diana had a profound influence on both William and his brother, along with so many others.
Here are some ways that they could honour Diana's memory.
Some obvious names that would honour Lady Diana are:
1. Diana, which means luminous or perfect
2. Spencer (Diana's maiden name), which means provider
3. Frances (her middle name, her mother's name and her great-grandmother's name), which means free
If the royal baby is a boy, William and Kate could also consider these names in honour of Diana:
1. John (Diana's father's name), which means gracious;
2. Albert (Diana's grandfather), which means noble and famous;
3. Maurice (Diana's grandfather), which means dark;
4. James (Diana's great-grandfather), which means supplanter or one who grasps by the heel.
Diana's family includes a long line of strong royal names for girls, too.
1. Ruth (grandmother), which means compassion
2. Margaret (great-grandmother), which means pearl
3. Rosalind (great-grandmother), which means tender
4. Ellen (great-grandmother), which means bright light
Last names can work really well for both first and middle names. Here are some of the surnames in Diana's family:
Keep up with your baby's development, get the latest parenting content and receive special offers from our partners