I fell off the wagon — the “work-out-and-be-healthier” wagon.
Ugh. It’s frustrating. I’ve been here before. I make my mind up that I’m going to make changes in my life, that I’m going to start working out and eating healthier and then something happens and I lose all momentum.
This time around it was a combination of things, all within a few days of each other:
- My yoga and bootcamp class went on break and I officially became bored with running on the elliptical machine
- We went away for Easter (so I splurged on things like parmesan artichoke dip)
- I had a burger and fries at Red Robin
- I got a cold and when I attempted cardio I felt 100 times worse the next day
- My husband’s work schedule changed and twice a week he’s at work when I’m normally at the gym
- The four-week Healthy Family Challenge eating and fitness plans ended and we were officially on our own
So how do you get back on the wagon after you fall off? In the past I’ve felt discouraged after having a slip — one week of not working out led to two weeks and two weeks led to two months. Life got in the way and other activities got prioritized and my health fell to the bottom of the list.
It’s funny how that is. Last week was a fabulous week for me in the “blog world.” My blog, Sew Creative, was featured on a few of my favourite craft blogs, I had more pageviews than I’d ever had before and I learned two new skills — crocheting and felting. My online craft life was on fire but my real world life was slipping.
In this busy world that we are living in how do we balance healthy living with professional, social and family needs and obligations? How do we get it all done with only 24 hours in the day?
I think I am going to get back on the wagon by focusing on the positives:
- I’ve lost 10 pounds since I started going to the gym regularly in January!
- The person who watches Bella two days a week told me that Bella’s eating habits have completely changed and that she hasn’t had to nag Bella to eat her lunch for weeks now!
- I found out that one of my best friends has Zumba DVDs and she said that I could borrow them so that I can change up my workout routine and exercise when Rob is away during my usual gym time.
- The days are starting to get longer and nicer and one of my friends wants me to do a speed walk with her, so I think I’m going to do it.
Now that I wrote it here I guess I have to do it all, right? After a week off I’m officially climbing back onto the Healthy Family Challenge wagon. I’ll check back next week and let you know how it’s going.