You'll need: craft felt embroidery transfer pen or iron-on transfer pen scissors embroidery floss embroidery hoop embroidery or tapestry needle (a tapestry needle has a blunt end but will still poke through the felt, perfect for small crafters) peel-and-stick fabric fuse sheets (available at craft stores)
1. Draw a design directly onto the felt with your pen making sure it will fit in the embroidery hoop. Or, you can use our template or trace an existing design and transfer it to felt using an iron-on transfer pen.
2. Place your felt in the embroidery hoop with the design centred. Tighten your hoop so it feels tight like a drum skin, trim away the excess felt.
3. Thread your needle using an arms-length of embroidery floss. Knot the end.
4. Starting on the back of your design, stitch along your penned line. Use a basic backstitch to outline the design on your felt (don't worry if you're a newbie, after three stitches you'll have the hang of it). Get creative and use as many colours as you like.
5. Take your finished design out of the embroidery hoop. Cut around your stitching leaving a 1 to 2-cm border around the design.
6. Trace your cut-out embroidered design on the peel-and-stick fabric fuse sheet (you want to trace on the smooth side of the fuse sheet, BTW). Cut out your traced shape.
7. Peel the smooth paper backing away and stick it directly to the back of your patch. Trim away any excess fuse sheet that's showing. Peel off the other side and stick it directly to your garment. Ta-da!
Keep up with your baby's development, get the latest parenting content and receive special offers from our partners