By Amy ValmUpdated Sep 14, 2016
1. Joseph Ponton CostumesThe oldest shop of its kind in Quebec (it's 150 years old!), Joseph Ponton Costumes is named after a barber who stored French actors' costumes he brought back from Europe. Today, it's the largest costume shop in Montreal (OK, in Quebec, too), with more than 15,000 costumes and accessories (including a wall of mustaches, wigs and mascot heads) spread out over three floors. The perfect shop for teenyboppers to adults, rentals and custom-made costumes are available, too.
4846 Ste-Catherine E., 514-849-3238 pontoncostumes.com
2. Vézina Centre PartyThis one-stop party store stocks costumes for babes, kids, teens and adults. They've got everything you need to throw a spooky party, too. Fog machine? Check! Black lights? Check! Bag of severed body parts? Double check. Be on the lookout for Marvel superheroes, princesses and Guardians of the Galaxy disguises, as well as traditional costumes like clowns, hippies and ghosts. A wide range of makeup and other accessories will help you create the perfect look and face-paint stencils are great for those who are still developing their, um, art skills.
6181, boul Métropolitain Est., 514 321-5555 vezinapartycentre.com
3. Eva BIf retro guise is what you're seeking, look no further than Eva B's, a café and vintage costume shop that stocks impeccable outfits from the '70s and '80s. Most are geared towards teens and adults, but there's plenty of costume jewelry and get-ups to create a funky ensemble for any age. Rentals available, too.
2015 Boul St-Laurent, 514-849-8246 eva-b.ca
4. L'Entrepôt Halloween To the folks at this shop, Halloween isn't just a holiday, it's a passion. And it's that passion that ensures their customers find everything they're looking for, from awesome get-ups for the whole family to super-spooky decor that's sure to scare the pants off of trick-or-treaters.
Two locations, 514-282-0760 entrepothalloween.com
5. Johnny Brown Theatrical AccessoriesKnown for its dance gear (majorettes, take note!), the shop also stocks more than 450 costumes for rent and has more than 900 for sale. If you have a wannabe cheerleader on your hands, the vast array of pompoms alone will blow their mind. Plenty of accessories like hats and costume makeup are available to supplement a homemade costume.
7300 Rue Hutchinson, 514-274-7604 johnnybrowninc.com
6. Halloween ManiaTouted as having the largest selection of costumes in Montreal, this sprawling shop stocks more than 3,000 costumes and accessories geared towards kids, adults and pets. The selection of props, decor and specialty items (like a full-on movie-quality costume of Darth Vader) doesn't disappoint. But what really sets this store apart is the ever-changing 2,500-square foot haunted house and maze that is redesigned each year. Admission is free, but it's not for the faint of heart. Check out the video on their website to see if you and your crew are brave enough to enter.
5820 Métropolitain Est, St. Leonard, 514-419-1211 halloweenmaniamontreal.com
7. Imagine Le Fun Looking for Harry Potter's wand, Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber or Indiana Jones' fedora and whip? You've come to the right place! A huge selection of costumes and accessories for kids and adults awaits at this Halloween-centric store. Short on time? Check out the online store (open 24/7, of course) to get an idea of exactly what you want before heading to the store, or order by phone.
34 Mont-Royal Est, 514-282-2227 imaginelefun.com