Accidentally locking your baby in the car on a hot day is every parent’s worst nightmare. And if it ever happens, you’d hope that emergency responders would spring into action to help save your child. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case for new mom, Lacey Guyton.
Due to a locking malfunction with her minivan’s key fob, Guyton accidentally trapped her two-month-old daughter in the car as she was leaving her grandparent’s house. After a failed attempt at breaking the front passenger window, Guyton’s grandmother called 911 only to be told by the dispatcher that they don’t send emergency responders to unlock doors or break windows. Instead, the dispatcher suggested they call a towing company. Dismayed, Guyton called 911 again and was told the same thing a second time. She posted about the terrifying experience on Facebook, which was later aired on the local news.
How to make sure you never forget your kid in a hot car “It was terrifying. It was like the worst day of my life,” Guyton told Fox 5 News. “I was so, like, shocked, [thinking] they aren’t coming; I have to get her out of here. Nobody’s coming to help me.”
Eventually, Guyton succeeded at breaking the rear window and climbed into the car to unlock the doors manually. Her daughter Raina was already out of the car, cooling down by the time the tow truck showed up 12 minutes later. Read the full account on Facebook:
Normally I don’t post about our personal lives especially with this already being hard to share, but since it’ll be on…
Local chief of police have since reached out to Guyton to apologize for their carelessness. “It’s a common sense issue,” Chief Scott Underwood said. “You call 911, you expect for somebody to come and give you some help, and we certainly should have gone and done that. We made a mistake and we need to fix that.”
We’re just glad Guyton eventually got the rear window, which is apparently the easiest to shatter, to break in time to save her daughter. Too many kids have died in recent years from being left in hot cars, and it’s good to hear the little Raina survived thanks to her mom’s quick thinking.