Originally published in Today’s Parent magazine.
Vegetarian PhoBy Eshun Mott
4 Adult Servings
In this vegetarian pho recipe, individual bowls of fragrant vegetable broth and rice noodles are easily customized to suit both kid and adult tastes.
- 2 L sodium-free vegetable broth
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 3-in. cinnamon stick
- 1 1-in. piece ginger , cut into thin coins
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 4 bunches cilantro stalks , (keel leaves for garnish), ideally with roots
- 2 tbsp fish sauce , or, if vegetarian, 1 tbsp soy sauce + 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 pkg 1/16-in.-wide rice sticks , (225 g)
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced medium-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup basil leaves , (ideally Thai basil)
- 1 lime , quartered
- hoisin sauce
- Combine broth, star anise, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, cilantro stalks, fish sauce and sugar in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 min or until broth is fragrant. Strain and discard all flavourings.
- Bring a separate pot of water to a boil to cook the noodles in. Add noodles and boil for 3 to 4 min more, or until soft but still chewy. Strain.
- Serve noodles, broth and garnishes separately and let everyone make their own bowl of soup the way they like it.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 48 g,
- 69 g,
- 6 g,
- 5 g,
- 854 mg.