Originally published in the Today’s Parent September 2014 issue.
Sweet Potato BiscuitsBy Eshun Mott
Switch up your lunchtime routine with these easy and delicious make-ahead sweet potato biscuits.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato , mashed
- 1 egg , beaten
- 2 tsp turbinado sugar , optional
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine flours, baking powder, salt, soda and brown sugar in a bowl. Coarsely grate in cold butter and toss with dry ingredients until well combined.
- Work in mashed sweet potato with your fingers, then add buttermilk and work until all dry ingredients have been absorbed. (Note: It’s good if biscuit dough seems just a little bit wet. If yours isn’t, add a touch more buttermilk.)
- Form dough into a ball and pat into a circle about 1 in. thick. Cut into 8 wedges and place 1 in. apart on a parchment- lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if desired. Bake for 20 min, or until biscuits are lightly golden and cooked through.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 33 g,
- 13 g,
- 3 g,
- 264 mg.