, or French bread (1/2-in. cubes)
, (about 2 or 3)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Butter a 9-in. square baking pan. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs with milk, Dijon, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add bread and stir to moisten completely. Reserve.
- Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium. Add onion and sauté for 2 min or until softened. Add summer squash and sauté for 4 min or until just beginning to brown. Add cream and thyme, and simmer 4 min longer or until squash is completely tender and cream has almost disappeared. Scrape into egg mixture. Add cheddar and stir to combine.
- Pile mixture into prepared baking dish. Lay tomatoes on top, nestling edges in among the bread cubes. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake for 35 min or until base is puffy and edges are golden.
Want an instant dinner? Assemble the strata, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Let it come to room temperature before baking.
Afraid your kids won’t eat the squash? Cut it up thinly or dice it so that it really falls apart and disappears into the strata.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 18 g,
- 24 g,
- 2 g,
- 613 mg.