Originally published in the Today’s Parent December 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Spanakopita PizzaBy Chatelaine
1 h 20 min
Pizza night just got flaky. Puff pastry makes a perfect base for this greens-and-cheese pie.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ sweet onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 454-g pkg baby spinach , (about 12 cups), chopped
- 1 cup extra-smooth ricotta
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup crumbled feta , divided
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 450-g frozen puff pastry , thawed
- 1 egg
- Position oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 400F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Heat a large pot over medium. Add oil, then onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is lightly brown, 4 to 5 min. Add spinach and cook until wilted, 1 min. Add ricotta and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 min. Remove from heat. Transfer to a fine-mesh strainer and drain excess liquid. Return to pot and stir in dill, 1/2 cup feta, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Unroll pastry onto prepared sheets. Score a 1/2-in. border around each pastry square, then prick holes all over the pastry. Beat egg in a small bowl and brush evenly over both sheets of pastry.
- Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching sheets halfway through, until pastry is golden and puffy, about 15 min.
- Divide spinach mixture between pizzas, spreading to scored border. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup feta overtop. Continue baking until pastry and feta are golden-brown, switching sheets halfway through, 13 to 15 min more. Slice each pizza into 6 pieces.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 12 g,
- 11 g,
- 1 g,
- 275 mg.