Originally published in the January + February 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Get up on this smoky and delicious dish. Make sure to have crusty bread or warm naan on the side to swipe through the chunky tomato base and mop up the runny yolk.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup sliced roasted red peppers , drained
- 796-mL can plum tomatoes , cut with kitchen shears in the can
- 6 eggs
- 3 artichoke hearts , cut into thin wedges
- ½ cup feta cheese
- cilantro leaves , optional
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium. Cook onion and garlic until softened, about 3 min. Stir in tomato paste, paprika, cumin and salt, and cook 3 min.
- Add peppers and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 min.
- Make 6 wells in sauce using back of a spoon. Break 1 egg into each well. Cover and cook until whites are set, about 7 min. Scatter artichokes over top. Sprinkle with feta, and cilantro, if desired.
Serve with warm bread or pita to dip into yolks and mop up the sauce.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 10 g,
- 12 g,
- 14 g,
- 3 g,
- 754 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin C