Seven Vegetable Curry
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
A simple, delicious, recipe for slow cooked Seven Vegetable Curry!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp whole mustard seeds
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 400-mL can coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 medium potatoes , peeled and cut into 1-in. chunks
- 2 cups cut green beans , (1-in. pieces)
- 2 medium carrots , sliced
- 1 540-mL can chickpeas , drained
- 1 sweet potato , peeled and cut into 1-in. chunks
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro , (optional)
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the curry powder and mustard seeds and cook, stirring, until the seeds begin to pop. (This is cool – so call in the kids, but make sure they stand back to avoid getting spattered with hot oil.) After a minute, the popping will die down. Add the onion and continue to cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until the onion is softened. Stir in the coconut milk and salt and bring to a boil. Cook until the mixture thickens slightly. Set aside.
- In the Crock-Pot, layer all the vegetables in the order listed – potatoes, green beans, carrots, chickpeas, sweet potato and green peas. Pour the coconut milk mixture over the top and place the lid on the pot. Cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours, or on high setting for 3 or 4. Stir in the cilantro, if you’re using it, just before serving.