Originally published in the Today’s Parent March 2014 issue.
Sesame and Sweet Chili TofuBy Eshun Mott
4 adult servings
Are your kids not sure about tofu? This sesame and sweet chili tofu recipe uses soft tofu, which is mild-tasting and almost custard-like.
- 600 g soft (not silken) tofu , drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- Place tofu in a pot in a single layer and cover with cold water. Place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to low to keep tofu warm.
- Heat a small frying pan on medium-low. Add sesame seeds and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 min or until well toasted. Scrape into the bowl of a mortar and pestle.
- Crush with pestle until half the seeds are powdery. (If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, crush seeds using the flat edge of a large knife against a cutting board.) Transfer to a bowl. Crush garlic in a similar fashion. Add to sesame seeds along with soy sauce, chili sauce and sesame oil.
- Carefully remove tofu from water and slice into pieces. Place on a platter, drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with green onion.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26 g,
- 8 g,
- 17 g,
- 1 g,
- 384 mg.